A baby is born.

July 3, 2009

newborn photographer baby photography tree branch

This post has been sitting as a draft on my blog for 3 months now. I couldn’t decide whether or not to post it. I entered this image into my very first PPA International Print Competition in May but I don’t think it got accepted, so I am going to finally blog it after all!

Ok, as for the title, I don’t mean just this sweet baby girl. I had dreamt of this shot for the past year, back when I first started pairing up tree parts with babies. Part of the process was finding the perfect “prop”. I still hadn’t found it as of last August (08) when fellow photographer Shawn Houllis agreed to let me try a few ideas out on her new baby. Because it was warm out, we tried this on a live tree outside and failed… well, not completely, but I knew it could be better (and I am thankful that I was successful with other shots for Shawn so she didn’t walk away empty handed!). So, ever since then, I’ve been on the prowl for the perfect fallen tree with the perfect swoop in it.  Even my kids would point out tree stumps to me during car rides. Finally, about 4 months ago, I stopped in my tracks. I had found the perfect fallen tree. I think my husband was happy to shut me up, so he gladly gassed up his chainsaw and brought it home for me. And what perfect timing. Another photographer friend, Sheryl Paulino was about to have a baby girl. I am so thankful for fellow photographers who trust me enough to try new ideas out on. So, here she is. Little Miss Kayla… 3 weeks old (at the time). Thank you Shawn and Sheryl for fueling my obsession of babies and trees!  © carrie sandoval | baby

35 Responses to “A baby is born.”

1. This is beautiful. I love it. You make awesome images with newborns. I’m a fan. 🙂 -cristina

2. Kristin Cook says:

AMAZING!!! So beautiful 🙂

3. OMG Carrie;
    You amaze me all them time. You are such an inspiration to so many. WOW
    This is one of my fav’s from you.

4. OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is amazing!!! I have no idea how this wouldn’t have been accepted. I have been lurking for about 3 whole days now, and I am hooked. I’m STILL going through all of your archives! I wish you were closer, I would absolutely love to shadow you! I think you are an amazing photographer! Thanks for all of your inspiration and sharing your beautiful pictures!

Shannon Fry From Western Oklahoma

5. Ro says:

its awesome. AWE some.

6. Kristen says:

So worth the wait too C…. breathtaking x

7. lisa jordan says:

the PPA must have rocks in their head if this didn’t make it. Simply stunning and awe-inspiring. A new fave for me!

8. Cindy says:

OMG! why wouldn’t this be accepted?! this is exquisite!

9. elizabeth says:

WOW.. this is just .. uhhh.. WOW… breathtaking

10. Kerianne says:

Oh Carrie!!!!! I remember you mentioning that you still had surprise images from Kayla’s session… and you weren’t kidding! This is jaw-dropping. I love your creativity and visions and I am so glad you found that perfect tree after all this time! And about Mike gassing up the chainsaw… hehehe 🙂

11. Unbelievable, you are just unbelievable. I love that you just push yourself farther and farther out of that box.
    I also love that your husband and kids want to shut you up already. I think it is a feeling that all photographer moms feel. It is just nice to know that we are not alone.
    Way to go and I can’t wait to see what you dream up next sister!

12. Carrie, this is beyond stunning. What an amazing accomplishment after months and months of planning and waiting for the right moment to pull it off! Getting to see the creativeness of your ideas actually played out is an enormous inspiration and honor. Thank you for continuing to share your work with others.

13. Shannon Dodd says:

Absolutely BREATHTAKING! Perfection in any and all ways!! Thank you for the amazing, inspirational, beautiful, NATURAL newborn photos you share- your clients are extremely lucky to have you capturing those first special moments in their baby’s life.

14. alpana says:

so glad you posted it! It is a remarkable piece of art and hope it gets accepted. I’d be surprised if it didn’t. Good luck!

15. Kelli France says:

This is INSANE. I am stunned by how amazing this image is. SO beautiful!

16. Sheryl says:

Wooohoo!!! Way to go! I’m so happy you decided to share this!! This was so much fun! Can’t wait til I can fuel more of your ideas. It would just take about 10 months to make another model! Ha!

17. Leslie says:

Beautiful! You’re amazing!

18. jennifer says:

wow absolutely speechless this is beautiful

19. J'Lynn says:

Wow….Gorgeous!!!

20. toni says:

wow!!! oh my goodness, I love it. carrie, it’s so you and so amazing….

21. Kelli Nicole says:

Wow, this is stunning. Absolutely amazing!

22. Jeanette says:

Absolutely spectacular! No idea why it wasn’t accepted in the competition.

23. Luvlee says:

very, very cool.. and completely inspirational.. thankyou.

24. Julie Cruz says:

You are SO damn amazing it kills me!! 🙂 I loooooooooove this. Fabulous as always my friend! 🙂

25. Karmel Baker says:

OMG!! You are so GOOD!!! This is just a stunning image, every great new image you do younthen pull off an even greater image after it, you just keep exceling!!

26. Jessica says:

I just love this image, Carrie. And baby Kayla is beyond sweet. What I wouldn’t give for your vision, sigh!

27. Maggie says:

I LOVE IT!!!!

28. Sheri says:

the PPA list is out you can check for sure. IT looks great. Comp is just very picky and subjective.

29. Tam says:

OMG! I’m just trying to imagine you guys lugging this thing into your studio. LOL!!! Absolutetly Gor-geous!!!

30. Nicole Glenn says:

Beautiful! Love, love, love it! Good find! 🙂

31. Showwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!! I´m photographer too, in Brasil! I taked pictures under water! I loved your work! Wonderful! Congrats!

Kisses!

Vanessa Freire.

32. Hal Brainerd says:

Having been a pro photographer since 1969, I’m amazed this image was not accepted! Although as we know every person or judge has their own opinion. Perhaps if it were cropped tighter, they would see it differently. But their opinion is not always what is most important. Creative and beautiful!

33. Amber says:

I love this shot!! I have just one question…..How did you keep the tree standing?!

34. Sheryl says:

I’m still looking back at this photo and I’m just soOo happy we pulled this off! 😀