Miss Hailey Gee’s skin may be described as fragile and weak. But I know first hand that her spirit can be described as the complete opposite! Hailey was born with a severe case of Epidermolysis Bullosa (EB), a rare, genetic disease that causes the skin to blister, even with the slightest rub. She lives every day similarly to that of a burn victim, but even worse because her internal organs are also affected. There is no cure for EB, so the focus of treatment is to promote the continuous healing of the skin. Please read all the details of EB and watch videos of Hailey on her website: www.healinghailey.com .

I am also hoping my wonderful readers will notice the Paypal Donate button on her website. Absolutely any dollar amount will help this courageous family. Paypal makes it safe, easy and fast and it’s completely tax deductible. If you live in Fallbrook or anywhere close to north county San Diego, I invite you to join me at a fundraiser for Hailey next Saturday, March 12 from 11am – 2pm. Hosted by my favorite place to be: Martial Art Concepts, 325 N. Brandon, Fallbrook, CA. There will be live music, the best ever pulled pork BBQ, Raffle, Silent Auction (hmmm, any expecting San Diego Mom’s wanting to bid on a newborn session??), a martial arts competition and demonstration (let me tell you now, there is amazing talent at this studio and I am staking out my front row seat the night before!) and last but not least, the chance to meet Hailey in person. Any local who donates $25 or more on or before March 12 will receive a rewards card good one month (any month of this year) of free classes for the entire family at Martial Art Concepts. This is an *insane* deal! For those of you who visit my Facebook wall, you may know that I have gotten in the best shape of my life this past year by taking Master Paulson’s Ta Kwon Do Fitness and Hapkido classes. By far, the most FUN and intense form of exercise I’ve ever done.

I had the wonderful opportunity to photograph Hailey on a warm winters day when she was feeling exceptionally well. Thank you, Hailey, for touching my life!

Thank you so much! All images © carrie sandoval

14 Responses to “Hailey Gee, an amazing little girl you need to know about.”

1. Sukhi says:

Carrie, these are beautiful. Thank you for sharing. Wish I was still in CA. Going to her website now – thank you for the link. I am sure these photos will mean the world to her and her family.

2. Laura says:

I went to school with two friends who had EB. My school was tiny and on a small military installation in the middle of nowhere. They told us that EB kids have a life expectancy of 12 years. Ben lived to be 19. Jamie is still going strong. In fact she does a lot of fund raisers and helps other people facing EB. I remember when I first met her at Girl’s Camp. I thought she had been burned. And I remember the day they cut her fingers back apart so she could play the drums in band. And I remember when she and Ben had to have their esophaguses replaced. http://www.ebinfoworld.com/jamiegibson.htm In fact, she is working hard to get things changed in the medical world for those who face EB. They typically only train pediatricians for this disease and Jamie is in her 30’s. In fact she is a college graduate, married to a lawyer, and living a great life despite the pain and suffering she faces on a daily basis. Jamie has been my hero for years and I know she is a pioneer who will help this little girl live a better life. Bless you Miss Hailey. I hope you get to meet Jamie some day!

3. Jen says:

Beautiful images and story! I know these images will be cherished forever 🙂

4. Joanne Webster says:

I have EB and am celebrating my 45th birthday – I know my limits and certainly live life to the full……I have ups and downs, but in my life have achiieved so much more than people without disabilities. I am a teacher, I have two children (unaffected), I am a diver, I can tap dance, can cycle, I have travelled extensively, I can do anything I want to do, and I know my limitations. I have never had my fingers split, but I have lost the lining of my oesophagus several times, and was walking disabled for 6 years before I found a better way of life (sea and sun). Unless you have IT, you can never really comment – yes it’s painful and no you don’t get over people calling you names, but IT has not stopped me from at least trying to do what anyone else can – even if it does hurt sometimes!

Never say never!!

5. Darlena Klarer says:

I am Hailey’s maternal grandma. I have helped Kandace take care of Hailey since birth, 7+ years ago. Hailey is by far the most bravest and smartest little girl I have ever known. EB does not stop her from living a normal life. She knows her limits and everyone around her knows their limits of how close they can stand next to Hailey. She is loved and adored by her school friends and the teachers. When Hailey enters a room everyone knows her presence. Not because of the EB but by her beautiful smile and “old soul” eyes. Thank you, Carrie Sandoval for capturing Hailey’s “greatest moments” photos and with her beautiful mama. And to Laura (above). It would be nice for Hailey and Kandace to meet Jamie someday. Hailey is “MY HERO” also.

6. jaime lackey says:

amazing girl and story. so wish i could come celebrate life with you all on saturday. i know the mom is so appreciative of your amazing images and support. nothing like people coming together to help ones they do not know. hugs to you and them.

7. Amy Harnish says:

Carrie, Thank you so much for the beautiful pics and sharing Hailey’s inspiration. I am also going to her website. Wishing her much joy in her life!

8. Amy Harnish says:

Carrie, thanks for the beautiful images and the inspiration of Hailey. I have donated to her fund and wish her much joy in her life.

9. Laurie says:

I have three children and stories like these inspire me daily.. the fact that the worst part in my day is that my kid dumped a whole big box of raisens in his tub makes me so lucky. I just donated some money in hopes that it helps a tiny wee little bit.

10. This photos are amazing. I love your composition and the sumer haze colors. I love them. Thanks for sharing!

11. Artur says:

Respect. True, a beautiful moment for mother and child recognized at the time.

12. Great photos & a great story!

13. So precious, what a sweet girl.

14. jen says:

wow, this was so touching. what an amazing shoot and little girl!